Monday, April 26, 2010

Oops...and AWESOME!

Jess: So, I totally lose for not including this in the last post. I left out the most important part of the Lutheran/Methodist fight. For those of you who don't know, follow this link for what the Methodist cross looks like: http://www.huronumc.org/groups.html. The Methodists really, really like their cross. It's EVERYWHERE. But take note, everyone. It's a cross. On fire. So, basically, the biggest part of the fight Wes and I ever have is when I remind him that at least the Lutherans don't set our crosses on fire.

On a more exciting note, Wes and I have been trying to figure out how to improve our prayer lives. We both admit that we are not very good at praying on a regular basis, except at mealtimes. So I came up with the brilliant idea to write our prayer concerns on our shower wall, so we'll see them every time we're showering. At least that way I'll be praying for them once a day and Wes will be praying at least once every two weeks...

Well, the condensation in the shower makes the glass markers bleed and our prayers disappear, which was not exactly the intended effect. So, ironically while taking a shower tonight, I remembered that we have a double glass door leading out onto our porch. So as soon as I finish typing, prayers are going up. That way, we'll see them every day when we have the curtains open (which is during all the daylight hours to conserve electricity). If you need a prayer, let us know and we'll put it on our giant prayer window!

Wes: For the record, the burning cross is supposed to be a combined symbol of two of the most important aspects of the Christian faith-- the cross of Christ, which is the ultimate sacrifice of our God, and the flame of Pentecost, which is the indwelling of the Spirit within the believers. The Lutheran symbol... well, they have one, but no one actually knows what it is. At least with the Methodists, we know our symbol and its meaning. So there. One more point for the best denomination.

So far, our prayers are mainly for people from the church and people from home. Most of them are confidential, but I do want to ask for prayers for a friend of mine. His newborn son is not maintaining weight. Any prayers for him and his family would be amazing.

Two more things and then we're done. A lot of Jess and my friends are graduating from college in the next two weeks. Prayers for them would be great.

Finally, a prayer of praise. Jess and I have made some really awesome friends up here. They haven't by any means replaced any of our amazing friends back home, but it's nice to finally be integrating into community. So, thank God for super awesome amazing people.

Well, that's all for tonight! You stay classy, world wide web!
-Jess and Wes

1 comment:

  1. You can get these crayon things that write on the wall in the shower. My roommate in college and I had some and would leave crazy messages and pictures in the shower. I also used to write my prayer list on the bathroom mirror with a dry erase marker. That worked well. Sounds like ya'll are doing a great job of being intentional about prayer.

    ReplyDelete