Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Grading and the Downfall of the American Seminarian

Jess: Wes and I both have a problem. We like to get good grades. We like it so much that sometimes we forget that we're in school to learn, not to get A's. And sometimes, getting an A doesn't mean we've learned, and getting a B or C doesn't mean we haven't. On the first day of Confessions, Dr. Wengert informed us of the scale he and a fellow professor had devised years ago, which boils down to B- students making the best pastors. I'm not sure I buy into that, but his point was clear: perfection is not the answer. 

So when I got my first paper back from his class and got a B-, I was torn. When I was in middle/high school, I was expected to get A's. In Hudson, Ohio, this was a pretty formidable task. Yet I tried, and failed to get straight A's. Eventually, both my parents and I realized that that was an unrealistic expectation, and I worked on trying my best. This resulted in a pretty healthy attitude about grades, but not any sort of delusion that not trying would get me far in life. 

In college, I got one B. In four years. So my perfectionist streak came back, despite the years of fighting against it throughout high school. Why shouldn't I get A's if I was clearly capable of making straight A's? Why would I accept anything less from myself? Why would I allow myself to "fail"? This came back to bite me in the butt when I got a B+ on a final paper during my first semester senior year. I spent quite awhile agonizing over it, got mad at my favorite professor about it, beat myself up about it for days, and then finally realized that 1) I was still getting an A in the class and 2) A B+ is not failure. It means there's room for improvement. And isn't there always?

Now here I am in my first year of seminary, and you would think that I had held onto that lesson from my senior year of college. Yet, somehow, I've latched back onto the idea that A's make me a better person or something. That anything less than perfection is unacceptable. Finally, though, after that first B-(on just one small, fairly insignificant, first paper of the semester, mind you), I've realized my own silliness. I might still attach some weight to grades. Pretending that grades don't mean anything is just as bad as thinking that they mean everything. An A, B, C, D, or F does not determine my personal worth. Yet each one says something about the effort I put into a task, the work I've already accomplished, and how far I have to go. An A means I've come close to mastering a particular subject. A B means I need some work. Yet my learning is never going to be complete, no matter how great I feel about myself. 

The biggest thing I realized within the last few weeks is that no one is going to be grading me in "real life." I know I probably should have recognized that awhile ago, but any of you who know me know how perfectionist I can be, and that sometimes clouds the rest of what's happening. Anyway, when I give a sermon or teach a class or do pastoral care, no one is going to give me a grade. And even more important, those who are judging or deciding whether I'm doing a good job or not are not going to be as kind as my professors who genuinely want me to succeed. I need to get past this obsession with grades and look forward to the future, and what really matters. 



Wes: First off, ditto to all of Jess' comments. She didn't leave me with much to say, so I'll just make up a bunch of stuff. 


But seriously.


I have always been an A student. I remember when I was younger and my parents would reward my good grades on my report card. I would get a dollar for every point I improved from last grading period, and five dollars for every perfect grade. Then, at some point, they just... stopped paying me. I guess I was costing them too much money, or they thought I had grown out of the need for handouts. Either way, I still felt this need to make all A's. 


That didn't necessarily mean that I tried my hardest, though. Truth be told, I spent most of junior high and high school sleeping my way through class and earning high A's the whole time. My mom--the English teacher--and my aunt--also an English teacher--would get upset with me at times. They said that if I would just try a little harder, I could have been making 100's in all my classes and could be valedictorian. I figured, though, that as long as I was making A's, it was good enough. This mindset got me through high school, and I ended up fourth in my class. Do I ever regret not putting forth the effort to be better? Not really. I had fun in high school and did not let grades hold the highest priority in my life. 


Then I got into college. I'm one of those idiots who took Biblical Greek my very first semester. Because of some outside events that were out of my control and because I honestly just did not put forth the effort to learn as much as I should, I ended the first semester with a B. That would be the first of three, and the other two would come up the very next semester. After that, I decided that I would make sure that everything else--especially the classes within my major--was a close to perfect as I could do. I worked hard on my papers and projects, trying to prove mainly to myself that I had it in me to be the absolute best. I ended up graduating Summa Cum Laude, and do not at all regret the work I put into those classes. 


Seminary, though, is a completely different ballgame. I have worked my keister off (yeah, I just used that word) and have earned a handful of A's as well as a handful of B's. It seems like the classes I've worked the hardest in are the ones in which I've received the lowest grades! I don't think that's fair, but that is life. 


I really struggle with my grades. I've come home after receiving back papers and been completely depressed because I did not get the grade I thought I deserved. A grade of a "C" is not and never has been "average" for me. An "A" is average. Nothing else is allowed. Obviously, this is something that I need to work on...


But here is my problem with the whole grades thing right now. I feel like there is not much grace in this institution that is supposed to be preparing me to share God's grace with the world. I have now been told by a preceptor and a professor that if my paper is not publishable as is, it is not "A" quality work. Now, I can understand high standards at a place like Princeton (or really in any Master's program), but this seems a little unreasonable to me. Especially when, once again, this is a church institution, I would think that a little grace would shine through. Now all of the profs act this way, though, which is nice, but enough do that it is still a struggle for me. It takes away some of the fun in the learning for me, when I'm constantly struggling to make sure I am meeting what seem to be unreachable standards. I have taken a few classes pass-fail, which is great, but since I want to be able to pursue a doctorate at sometime in the future, I cannot take too many of these because it doesn't look so swell on applications. 


I just feel like there should be a better way to do this. 


What are your thoughts, oh web of the cyber? Do/did you struggle with grades? What are your thoughts of the expectations of individuals and institutions today?


You stay classy, World Wide Web!


-wes and jess

2 comments:

  1. Here's how it works in the Texas State Master's Program: A's and B's get you credit for the course; nothing else does. You need a 3.0 to stay in the grad college. Since you can't really get into grad school without being a strong enough student to get A's and B's in the first place, I don't worry about it - like at all. I don't plan on getting a Doctorate (at least for a long while) and all any museum is going to want to see is that I got my Master's in the first place.

    Seriously, I don't care - at all. I find it makes things go a lot smoother.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, the plight of liberal arts majors......

    The best description of grade I ever got was from my organic chemistry 2 professor. I don't remember the C, D, and F explanations, but I remember the A, and B.

    B: You have learned all of the facts and can regurgitate them. You know the theory of why the facts work.

    A: You understand the theory behind the facts and can apply the theory to previously unseen systems to come to reasonable conclusions (new facts).

    It seems to me that seminary would be similar. There is no A until you can find a way to take a 2000 year-old document, mix in some history, translations, and lots of human interference, and apply the whole thing to contemporary existence in a coherent manner.

    I think it is the concern of the pupil to show their best effort. It is important to note that best effort means different things to different people. It is also very important to note that best effort can lead to many different results. It is the concern of the institution to impart knowledge and thoroughly evaluate both their own ability to convey knowledge and determine students' level of subject mastery. Grace doesn't factor in. Just as grace in a medical school would lead to unprepared doctors, grace in a seminary leads to naive church representatives.

    I hate that so many individuals entrenched in a liberal arts background think that answers are subjective there is no right answer and no wrong answer, but they see science as black and white. It's such a mistake to look at the world that way. Do the arts not exist as a way to evaluate non-concrete concepts in a reasonable manner? Science is just a way to evaluate concrete concepts in a reasonable manner. There is no difference in the discovery process, only in the subject one is discovering. In both cases, the final answer is meaningless without the discovery process.

    I also think that it is unfair to say that those judging you in "real life" won't be concerned about if you succeed or fail. Even worse, I feel like there is an implication that people will be rooting for your failure. Being an inhabitant of "the real world" I would like to say that I don't root for anyone's failure. I want my spiritual leaders to be able to provide thoughtful, coherent advice and engaging questions. I want my boss to be good at managing people. I want the driver's ed. teachers in the community to do well so as to lower my risk of getting into a wreck with a 16-year-old. Rooting for failure does not improve anyone's life, and dealing with inept individuals makes the entire exercise in existence very tedious. We all achieve a lot more success in life if everyone does well, and bad attitudes don't help that.

    ReplyDelete