Sunday, June 26, 2011

Jess: As promised, here is the wedding homily.

And here is my lovely matron of honor speech:

I’ve known Karin for literally my entire life.  From the start, Mom and I had a special connection. We've had our ups and downs

My relationship with Chris began many years later. Now, when my mom was younger, my Uncle Neil kindly met one of her dates at the door…cracking his bullwhip. Considering that Uncle Neil is six feet tall and pretty intimidating, it is amazing Mom ever introduced him to a boyfriend again. The fact that Chris was more nervous about meeting Josiah and me than my uncle is a testament not only to how much my mom loves her children, but to how much Chris cared about her and her family even early in their relationship.

I have truly enjoyed watching the relationship between Mom and Chris unfold. Their love for one another shines through in all that they do. I know that this relationship is a strong one, built on trust, love, and a clear devotion to making each other happy. From the notes Chris leaves around the house to Mom’s ridiculous excitement as this day approached, it is clear to all of us that they are truly meant to be together. They have committed not only to each other, but to joining together as a family. Even though we just met this weekend, I felt like I already knew Chris’ children through all the stories Mom had shared about them and their lives; I’m sure that feeling is mutual. Mom and Chris know that this relationship is about more than just them, and that will only make it stronger.

Mom and Chris were there to celebrate when Wes and I got married, and I am so grateful to be able to share in their wedding today. So, to thank you for all you have done for us, we compiled a list of some marriage advice based on our 18 long months of marriage:

-    Always keep an extra blanket on the bed for when one of you inevitably steals the other.
-    Don’t be afraid of what other people think of you. Some of the best, funniest times Wes and I have had were when we acted like complete idiots in front of complete strangers.
-    It’s all right to spend time together doing nothing, or doing different things in the same room. You don’t have to talk to be connected.
-    Always take time to eat at the table instead of in front of the TV—at least once a month or so.
-    Don’t forget to go on dates. Just because you’re married and live together doesn’t mean you should always stay at home.
-    Surprise each other. Just the other day, Wes bought me flowers just because he hadn’t in awhile. It made me smile and made my day.
-    Remember that marriage is a partnership, and should be treated as such.
-    And remember, just like with Wii Bowling, it’s not about who comes in first, but about the fun you have playing.

I can’t wait to see what the years bring for you two, and I wish you all the best on your wedding day and in your married life together.

To Chris and Karin

No comments:

Post a Comment