Friday, April 15, 2011

Playing Blogger Ketchup

Jess: I guess we've been slacking here for a couple of weeks, and we apologize greatly for that. Sorry, everyone. We'll call that our bad.

Not much has really happened outside of the normal routine at the Cain house. I've been babysitting about 30 hours a week, Wes has been going to class, church is going well, and we've actually been eating at our dining room table--which is kind of a feat. The only out of the ordinary
occurrence was a couple of deaths in the congregations, which I will let Wes explain.

We're gearing up for spring/summer, though, so I'm pretty excited about that. Sometime in the next couple of weeks, we'll be planting potatoes, beans, tomatoes, carrots, and peppers. I don't know how well it's going to fit in our little garden, so the final tallies might look different. I'll be bleaching the siding and cleaning the windows inside and out this weekend, as well. The house looks pretty neat right now because of all the flowers growing. We'll see about the whole outdoor work weekend, though. The forecast is full of rain, which makes it a little difficult to work outside. If it falls through, there's always the inside windows, dressers to polish, a faucet to fix, and more. I never knew how much went into having a house--especially an old house.

Other than that, I headed out to Ohio last weekend for my mom's bridal shower. We spent all four days talking, and I think we sort of drove her fiance, Chris, a little crazy. The bridal shower was a good time. I always love getting the chance to go back to my hometown and see my old teachers, friends, and congregants. I miss a lot of them, and I haven't been back since Wes and I got married, so it was a nice treat. Apparently, Wes DOES miss me when I'm gone, because, as he said,"I noticed how dirty the house gets when you're gone." It's so nice to be appreciated...

On the money end of life, things are going pretty fantasmically (yes, I made up a word). We're going to be buying our car at the end of next month, and we're going to pay half of it off UP FRONT! I'm so proud of us for spending this first half of the year working hard to save money, and it gives us great hope for the time we'll spend saving for our adoption application next year.

Well, that's all I have to say right now. Up next: THE Wes Cain.

Wes: Aloha everybody! I want to share with you some of the things that have happened over at the churches in the past couple of weeks.

So, as Jess mentioned, the big event, and the hardest with which to deal, was the death of one of the most beloved members of Crosswicks UMC. Walt Ellis was a wonderful man, and our worshipping community will not be the same without him. His funeral was last Friday, so while Jess was hanging out with her mom, I was trying to hold it together and be supportive for his wife, Nancy, and their family. The funeral was rough for me. It was only my second funeral to officiate, and it was the first one in which I knew and had a relationship with the deceased. Walt and I had shared many wonderful conversations during both my visits to his and Nancy's house as well as after church. I would always tease him about falling asleep during my sermons and he would always respond with a deep question or comment on my message to show me that he was not only listening, but engaging the sermon. I appreciated that more than he'll ever know. It was nice to know that someone cared enough about what I said and about the Word of God to talk with me about it after the fact. He was a good man, and even though our time together was short, I do miss him a lot. Any prayers you would like to lift up for his wife, Nancy, would be greatly appreciated.

Two weeks ago, I spent the weekend doing conference youth ministry stuff. On Friday, I had the immense honor of helping lead and teach a youth lay speaking retreat for the youth of the conference who wish to become more involved in the worship life of their faith community. We had a great time and I left feeling refreshed and excited about the ministry opportunities that are arising with this current generation. Amazing things will be happening. Mark my word. I also got to attend and help lead the spring meeting for the ministries for young people team, which is comprised of both youth and young adults from the conference. I felt kinda bad because I was extremely distracted during the meeting. I had just found out that one of my parishioner's father had passed, and then half-way through received news about Walt. I wanted to be there, and wanted to help the team engage in ministry, but my heart was elsewhere, breaking open for those close to me that I knew were suffering. As soon as they invent a way to be in two places at once, ministry will be so much easier... Just saying.

I am also very happy to announce that as of 10:20 today, my classes for the long-term semester are over! I have two weeks off to focus on church stuff--Yay Holy Week!--before I hit it hard with my short-term class. I honestly do not know what to expect in this class. It's a class on evangelism, and I'm really hoping that it is hands on and fun.

Well, that's all for now, folks! Tune in next week to hear about our Palm Sunday adventures! I am doing something a little... different... so pray that it goes well, and I'll tell you all about it in a few days!


You stay classy, World Wide Web!


-Jess and Wes

No comments:

Post a Comment