Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Does Seminary Matter?

Jess: Our wonderful friend Allison sent us a huge list of potential blog topics over a month ago, and then we kind of forgot to write blogs forever. One of her questions-- which is pretty relevant now, as I complete my first year of seminary, and Wes is almost done-- was "why is seminary important?" So, here it is:

When I first felt the call to ministry in high school, I knew what the educational component entailed. Since my dad is a pastor, I already knew what he had been through, and I knew the general structure of college and seminary. I really didn't understand the point, however. Why should I go through all of that training when I felt called to be a pastor? Hadn't God already given me the gifts I needed to be a good pastor? Is a master's degree really necessary?

Even now, I definitely have some questions about seminary. I do however, recognize the value and importance of seminary education. Giftedness is definitely a big component of this job. Seminaries and candidacy committees are trained to recognize this. Those who feel the call should be able to recognize their own gifts, as well as their areas for improvement. Yet, like with many vocations, having the gifts does not mean one is actually prepared to do the job. Having the gift of preaching does not mean that I have a solid theological background. Having the gift of empathy does not mean that I could properly care for someone in spiritual need.

Seminary education is about more than just the classes, too. We live and learn in community. I have a nice pool of colleagues already, who I know I could call on in a time of need once I'm ordained. They each have their gifts and strengths, and I know that there are some who could help me with certain aspects of ministry that I am not as well-prepared to tackle. Our final this semester in Confessions is actually structured in such a way that our professor told us to prepare in groups, learning from one another and helping each other through the process.

Then there is field education, CPE (summer chaplain work in a hospital or prison), and internship. These things feed off of our education, yet also teach us where we need more work. For example, I already know that I have an issue with hospitals. I hope to get over my fear of hospitals this summer, but there is more to pastoral care of the sick than just being able to go into a hospital or nursing home. That's what my classes can help with--the concrete answers to situations. There might not be one right answer, but at least I'll have something to work with, books to consult, professors and other students to talk to.

Seminary is important. I can't describe everything I've learned this year, and how much more prepared I feel to be a pastor. I also know more about myself, and how far I have to go. There is much to learn, and many congregations would be sorely lacking without seminary trained pastors.

Wes: So. Seminary. That thing that at times seems like the bane of my existence as my professors and the administration try to suck the life out of me and at other times seems like a wonderful opportunity to grow in knowledge and faith of God.

Seminary.

Does it matter? Absolutely. Is it utterly important for any person seeking vocational ministry to be able to competently engage their calling and make a difference in the world? Absolutely not.

Seminary is meant to be a professional school--that which equips students with the tools of the trade so that they can be competent and effective ministers in their different context. This is not the only way to receive this training, nor--in some peoples' minds--is it the best. I know plenty of extremely effective and engaging ministers who have never set foot on a seminary campus. They are full of love of God and love of creation and have unique gifts in delivering the Gospel to the world. Most of them spent the majority of their lives working in a different career and were then able to take the things they learned in life and apply them to the preaching and pastoring of a church or congregation. They do an amazing job, and some have made a long-lasting impact in the world for the Kingdom.

But for the majority of pastors-to-be, especially if you are pursuing vocational ministry as their first (and hopefully only) career, seminary is not only an amazing gift for the ministry candidate, it is required by his/her denominational polity and candidacy committee. This is absolutely true for Jess and I. We have been charged by our denominations to actively engage our studies in the hope that we will be able to glean the knowledge and wisdom to better shepherd the Lord's sheep wherever we are sent. This is not meant to be a punishment of any kind, nor is it simply formality that we must endure before we are allowed to do the real work of ministry. This is a time of preparation, a time of discernment, and a time of growth.

For me, my seminary career has been a bittersweet experience. Princeton is a highly academic campus (no kidding, right?) as I spoke on in a previous blog post, and I honestly do not think that I am academic enough for the majority of the classes. This has led to me struggling through much of the work as I try to grasp the practicalities of what I'm learning. But, all that being said, I firmly believe that I have learned a lot--both about theology (in its different forms) and about myself. This has been a wonderful time altogether, and--whereas I do not necessarily feel completely ready for full-time ministry with all of its pitfalls, twists, and turns--I do feel like I am much more prepared for pastoral ministry than when I graduated from TLU.

So does seminary matter? For me and for Jess? Yes. For any and every person? Maybe not as much. But it has been a blessing for us, and will continue to be so (God-willing).

So that's all for now! You stay classy, World Wide Web!

Love,

Jess and Wes

3 comments:

  1. Good post! I like both of your thoughts on seminary. Hearing about each of your experiences is very interesting and intriguing to me. I enjoyed your writing this morning! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. yo! i read this one, cause it seemed interesting. I'm in full-time ministry without a degree in anything relevant! Its fun knowing I don't need to have all sorts of book-smarts and systematic theology under my belt to love students and further the mission field on campus. But, I'll admit there's alot I practically have yet to learn, and it may come with time and experience, or it might be more school I need. Out of anything, I could see a Biblical Counseling degree being helpful, as I do alot of one on one's with students in all sorts of crisis.

    One thing that tends to make me upset is when people WITH seminary degrees and Dr. this and Rev. that look down on my work just because i don't have a degree. (I'm quite glad you didn't do that!) Its tough to get recognized for the hard work I do sometimes. But I love what I do and see so much amazing fruit.

    keep it up! :-D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh this is Jenna Garrison, haha it says i'm unkown, oOooOoo

      Delete